Every parent has a story to tell about bottle feeding their baby. In some cases, parents fear that their kids will reject the bottle or love the bottle so much and they reject the breast. It is with this and some other considerations in mind that the makers of Comotomo baby bottle decided to come up with a new and unique design. There is no denying that in comparison, the make of this baby bottle is distinctive.
The aim of making such a design, according to the manufacturer, was to overcome most of the currently existing feeding bottle issues. The bottle’s design and feel are intended to mimic a mother’s breast as closely as possible. It means that a baby can easily transition from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding without noticing much difference.
Material – the bottle is made of skin-like silicone material to make the nipples and the mold parts. The silicon has a soft feel aimed at making the baby feel as though it’s still feeding on the breast. The thinking behind this was based on the understanding that babies, even the small ones, love touching and feeling a mother’s breast even at a very young age. Therefore, when they touch this material, it gives them a calming feeling. Since it is squishy, they can also have a better grip on the bottle.
Design – The Comotomo baby bottle has a wide mold and rounded edges. The top opening is quite wide in comparison to other bottles in the market. This design further helps to mimic a mother’s breast. The bottle has four distinctive parts. These are the bottle, the nipples, the cap, and the outer ring. The material used is strong enough to withstand heat in microwaves, boiling water, steam sterilizers, and dishwaters.
The bottle also has two anti-colic vents at the top of the nipple meant to ventilate the bottle as the baby sips in the drink. This ensures that as the child drinks the milk, there is no chance of sucking in the air leading to colic, burping, gas, and spit-ups.
Specifications – The Comotomo baby bottle comes in two sizes. The 5oz and the 8oz. They also have two color variations; green and pink. The two sizes vary in that the 5oz has a slow flow nipple and it is suitable for newborns of between 0-3 months. The 8oz bottle is suitable for babies between 3-6 months, and it has a medium flow nipple. Faster flow nipples are also available for parents with older children.
There is no doubt that many aspects of this bottle are interesting to any mother mainly due to the design. Here are the main positive factors about the bottle.
· The bottle does not leak during transport. This is the most annoying part of a baby’s milk bottle. When this happens, it can mess up things and waste a baby’s milk.
· The nipple and the mold of the bottle closely mimic a mother’s breast. The softness of the silicon gives it a very natural feel, making it one of the best makes in the market. It also helps prevent cases where babies reject the bottle because of the stark difference from a mom’s breast.
· The Comotomo baby bottle is also very easy to clean since it has a wide mouth that allows hand washing of the bottle. This means that it helps improves the general hygiene by not relying on bottle brushes to clean it.
· The materials used offers a further advantage because they will not spoil when dipped in boiling water, put in a microwave, or in the top rack of a dishwasher. This is very beneficial when sterilizing the bottle or warming a baby’s milk.
· The bottle is easy to use due to its ergonomic shape. The silicon is squishy, meaning that even if the baby wanted to clasp, massage, or squeeze, it can.
· The fact, it is not made of glass or plastic ensures that it cannot easily break even when it is dropped accidentally.
· The ventilating system of the bottle is a great addition in that it reduces the chances of sucking in air instead of milk. The system is also simple, making it easy to clean and assemble.
· The silicon material used also poses no health hazard to the baby compared to other materials that are commonly used to make milk bottles.
While the Comotomo baby bottle is of superior quality, it still has some negative facts about it.
· The rounded design of the bottle’s mold makes it unstable, and it can easily fall and spill milk.
· There nipple is also not fully spill-proof. It does spill some milk when the baby is sipping on the milk.
· Due to the soft nature of the silicon used to make the bottle, it is hard to tighten the collar over the nipple. This further creates chances of spillage.
· The measure marks on the frosted silicone are hard to read, which can be frustrating when trying to pour in the right amount of feed, especially at night. One way to deal with this can be pre-measuring baby milk before pouring it into the bottle.
· While the material used to make the bottle is heat resistant, it also has a negative side in that heating milk in it takes longer. This may force a mother to pre-heat the milk or formula before pouring it in the bottle.
· When the bottle is used over a long period, the nipple turns color from its normal clear look to a cloudy one. While this has no effect on the performance, it may not look presentable.
In comparison to other baby feeding bottles in the market, the Comotomo baby bottle scores highly. However, all these additions and the unique design come at a price. Still, with all the consideration made in the manufacture of this bottle, one can agree that it is one of the best in the market. For mothers who are looking for some break from breastfeeding, the Comotomo baby bottle is a good alternative that the baby will most likely love.